Great Central Brewing Company (GCBC) is looking for an experienced and talented Brewer for our new craft-dedicated contract brewing facility in downtown Chicago.
The Brewer is responsible for conducting daily brewing and cellaring operations in a safe and efficient manner that delivers the highest quality product on schedule for our clients.
Location: Chicago, IL
Reports To: Head Brewer & Brewmaster
Position Type: Full-time Hourly
- Adhere to GCBC’s quality standards in all areas of the Brewery as set forth by the Brewmaster, Quality Chief and Packaging Chief
- Maintain a clean work environment through Clean in Place (CIP) procedures and general housekeeping practices
- Maintain a vigilant attention to detail
- Follow brewing and cellaring Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs)
- Perform quality checks on wort and beer throughout the brewing, fermentation and centrifuging processes
- Perform yeast handling duties, including cell counts, propagation, pitching, and harvesting
- Complete necessary production paperwork
- Receive raw materials and track inventory
- Perform preventative maintenance based on established schedules, ensuring that daily, weekly, and annual maintenance is performed
- Have a strong focus on safety, quality and efficiency, while constantly evaluating work practices in the spirit of continuous improvement
- Support the training and development of assistant brewers
- Communicate effectively and work well with other departments
- Work towards achieving departmental goals around efficiencies, yields and cost
- Comply with all company policies
- Cross train and work shifts in packaging department as necessary
- Willingness to work 10-hour shifts with a flexible schedule of early mornings or late evenings as determined by production schedule
- Participate in brewery activities and events
- Effectively complete additional assigned duties as necessary
Requirements / Qualifications
- Minimum of 2 years production brewing experience
- Completion of brewing coursework or higher education in science / engineering relatable to brewing is a plus
- Mastered ability to multi-task, prioritize tasks and work independently
- Strong communicator and team player with respect for co-workers, supervisors, and managers
- Ability to lift up to 55 pounds repeatedly
- Ability to lift, drag, carry, and manipulate hoses, parts, pumps, buckets, and reservoirs
- Ability to twist / turn and stand / walk on a continuous basis
- Ability to work on your feet for over eight hours at a time
- Ability to work in loud production environments (80+ db)
- Ability to work with chemicals of varying composition
- Ability to work in damp / wet areas
- Ability to work at height (eg. scissor lift, top of vessels, ladders)
- Ability to work all shifts, additional hours & weekends as necessary
Varies by experience. This is a full-time hourly position (40 hours / week) with benefits, including health insurance, that begin after a successful 90-day introductory period. There are opportunities for advancement and the ability to learn from industry veterans in an exciting and dynamic production atmosphere with fun, beer-loving folk.
Please submit your resumé/CV with qualifications and a cover letter explaining how your experience and perspective makes you the ideal Brewer at Great Central Brewing to: firstname.lastname@example.org, with Brewer in the subject line.
Cheers and good luck!